I found a recipe and modified it, and I’m absolutely thrilled. It has so much flavor and is extremely versatile. All the while, it doesn’t have much sugar, if any. It contains ingredients that are anti-inflammatory for our gut, as well as super beneficial to our hair and nails etc.
So here is my simple barbacoa recipe!
3-4 lbs beef chuck roast
2 Tbsp Olive oil
3 – 4 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, or more to taste (reserve some for later if you want to add more sauce)
1¼ cups beef bone broth
4 teaspoons minced garlic
½ a large onion diced
1½ Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp dried oregano (again, feel free to use oregano essential oil to enhance the flavor and add in some health benefits)
¾ tsp salt, then more to taste
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp ground cloves (or clove essential oil if like me, you don’t want to keep all of these spices on hand and enjoy additional health benefits!)
¼ cup fresh lime juice (I also add in lime oil here for more flavor…you get the point)
Shredded cheese as a topping
Salsa as a topping
1. Cut the beef into large cubes.
2. If you want to (I prefer to skip this step because I don’t think it helps as much in this particular recipe), in a large skillet over medium-high heat add the vegetable oil and sear the beef on each side-if you choose to do this step, please please please use a stainless steel skillet as it’ll make it a hundred times easier to sear the meat. Transfer to your slow cooker.
3. In a food processor add adobo chilis, beef bone broth, garlic, onion, all the seasonings, and lime juice. Pulse until blended and pour on top of the meat.
4. Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 6 hours. Shred the meat with two forks and turn on warm, let sit for 30 minutes to fully absorb the flavor.
5. Served on corn tortillas or corn tortilla chips, topped with cilantro, fresh onions, cheese, and your favorite salsa.
6. Eat all that spicy deliciousness!